The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is seeking an enthusiastic Assistant Sports Editor to join our Newsroom. As part of our Sports section team, you will oversee coverage on multiple platforms in one of America’s most vibrant sports cities and regions. Successful applicants should prove they have a clear, creative vision for sports coverage, with developed sports knowledge, and ability to set an agenda for regional coverage. You will be called to lead a team of passionate reporters with a multi-platform coverage plan. Ideally, you are comfortable holding an “outside the box” enterprise mentality and growing readership through integrated digital, photo/video, and graphics storytelling.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives.
- Experience: 5+ years’ progressive experience in digital/daily newspaper, with exposure to sports coverage
- Education: Four-year college/university degree in journalism (or related field) or a combination of practical work experience and education.
- Preference for management experience, including managing remotely.
- Local sports knowledge or familiarity.
- Social media platform experience and skill set (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn and other emerging social networks)
- Ability to edit and post stories for multiple platforms using Methode, WordPress or other content-management systems; creating hyperlinks; attaching photos and video; understanding use of metadata, taxonomy, SEO and metrics.
- Comfortable with videoconferencing such as Zoom, MS Teams and WebEx.