The Citizen Times/citizen-times.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK is seeking an energetic and passionate sports reporter who is eager to write impactful stories that will get the community talking and sharing.
This reporter will cover prep sports across Western North Carolina’s 18 counties. This job is more than just covering games. Stories will be a both quick reports and deep enterprise, from updates on teams and athletes to longer works that dig into topics like the rigors of student-athlete life, coach pay, team travel, recruiting and more.
An average week may include covering games, writing enterprise and connecting with the community through Facebook Live. This journalist should be ready to build a personal brand as the community’s leading voice on high school sports. He or she should engage readers and grow a fan base with both serious news and expert commentary.
Asheville, North Carolina is a vibrant community in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains and is home to some of the nation’s best mountain biking, hiking and kayaking. It’s also known as a top restaurant destination and boasts dozens of craft breweries.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Connects with the community through storytelling.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content coach and digital partners to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with photographers to provide all appropriate elements for stories. Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years’ previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you’ve covered sports
- Proven experience aggregating content and producing quick write-ups based on trending topics in sports. Presents a quick, conversational writing style that resonates with mobile and social audiences.
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond to and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about competition for our audience’s time and money.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Energetic self-starter and a fast thinker who can spot stories that matter.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with a team of journalists.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Command of media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- This position involves an early start to the day and occasional weekend work.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Pre-employment background check and urinalysis drug screen required.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.