The Fayetteville Observer/fayobserver.com and the Southeast Region Sports Network, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK isseeking an independent, enterprising reporter to cover college athletics recruiting in the state of North Carolina.
Home to 18 NCAA Division I programs — four in the Atlantic Coast Conference — North Carolina colleges have a broad recruiting range, but the bulk of their prospects come from in-state.
In this role, the reporter will be responsible for covering recruits, trends in football and basketball recruiting and human-interest features while also contributing to general college coverage on all platforms. The reporter researches, reports and writes compelling journalism that continuously grows a fan base by informing and engaging those interested in the future of North Carolina athletics.
This reporter should be comfortable with breaking news, enterprise, feature and data reporting, and written analysis; using social media to promote personal and fayobserver.com sports brands; understanding how to use metrics to help shape coverage; and helping produce video content. This reporter’s content would be used across the state, specifically at USA TODAY properties.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Analyze teams, players, coaches, performance and results through the recruiting lens.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works with content strategist and audience analyst to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Performs other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s in communications, journalism or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and “publication ready.”
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Works weekends and nights as needed.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check & urinalysis drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.