We are looking for a qualified candidate to serve as a leading voice for USA TODAY’s social sports website, For The Win.
For The Win, or FTW, is a website that speaks directly to the fan, capturing the conversation of the people who care deepest. Our audience (10 million unique visitors/month) is comprised of passionate, young, digital natives who want their news delivered with voice, humor, and a clear point of view. With a mixture of writing, social video, and ambitious audio storytelling, FTW provides content not only for sports fans, but fans of video games, movies, music, and more.
The candidate should feel comfortable at the intersection of sports and the internet, and be ready to react to the day’s news by writing a mixture of blog posts, columns, and reported pieces. Comfortable navigating the internet, the candidate would constantly be exploring new ways to share content with our audience, both on platform and off.
FTW writers seek out stories that are of interest to our audiences using the latest in trends, metrics and social tools to find stories that will resonate. We want someone who can be creative, write in a conversational style, and deliver sharp headlines. SEO experience and a strong social media presence are a plus.
While expertise in one sport is great, we are looking for someone who is interested in a little bit of everything and doesn’t fear writing on a variety of topics. The position demands initiative, accuracy, urgency and insight. It also demands the ability to find and identify stories and trends that are immediate. Quick writing and reporting skills are crucial. This person can juggle a high volume of stories on a daily basis with aplomb, all the while staying focused on the digital details of story production: Headlines, SEO, multimedia assets and other points of optimization.
• Write quickly, clearly, and with voice.
• Deliver sports and culture news via stories, video, newsletters, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
• Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies. This includes being adept at SEO.
• Identify top sports stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
• Explore new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms. This includes experimenting with long-tail (evergreen) content.
• Be a self-starter who is eager to take the lead on new coverage areas, as well as ambitious projects to grow our brand.
• 5+ years of digital journalism experience.
• Able to file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
• Strong command of AP grammar and style.
• Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
• Passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
• Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations. Also comfortable using social media to enhance reporting and promote stories.
• Understand reporting ethics and sourcing.
• Excel in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital-first mission.
• Collaborate well with others and can work with a team – including teammates and colleagues who are remote.
• Open to off-typical schedules including the possibility of early mornings, late nights and/or weekend work. Able to be flexible as needed.