The Athletic is seeking a Senior Editor, NHL. This is a senior role contributing to comprehensive editorial oversight of our NHL coverage, using data analytics to optimize performance, and partner with stakeholders across the editorial organization and business teams on a range of initiatives.
- Manage a staff of reporters with an emphasis on the delivery of news and distinct team analysis.
- Assist with the big picture, conceptual vision for the vertical, including long-term direction; generating and planning story ideas; editorial platforms; expansion opportunities.
- Establish process and priorities to balance content assignments ranging from short-form and breaking news to daily coverage to long-form projects.
- Work to bring a distinctive, compelling, and authentic voice to all digital media products.
- Maintain an understanding and proficiency of subscription and engagement metrics.
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge of SEO. (Best practices available)
- Contribute to oversight of staffing assignments, editorial resources and process. Maintain an updated and accurate forward-looking editorial budget.
- Collaborate with staff on story ideas, and with design and photo teams on best execution for stories with a clear visual element.
- Edit and publish stories via WordPress.
- 4+ years of experience in digital sports journalism, including at least two years of direct editorial management.
- High-end knowledge of major professional, international and collegiate hockey.
- This position is based in the United States or Canada. West Coast preferred.