The Athletic is seeking a Managing Editor, NFL. This is a senior role providing comprehensive editorial oversight of our NFL coverage, using data analytics to optimize performance, and partner with stakeholders across the editorial organization and business teams on a range of initiatives.
- Manage a staff of reporters with an emphasis on the delivery of news and distinct team analysis.
- Provide a big-picture, conceptual vision for the vertical, including long-term direction; generating and planning story ideas; editorial platforms; expansion opportunities.
- Establish process and priorities to balance content assignments ranging from short-form and breaking news to daily coverage to longform projects.
- Work to bring a distinctive, compelling, and authentic voice to all digital media products.
- Maintain an understanding and proficiency of subscription and engagement metrics.
- Maintain proficiency and knowledge for SEO. (Best practices available.)
- Develop comprehensive multimedia coverage and contacts that include text and audio.
- Coordinate staffing assignments, editorial resources and process. Maintain an updated and accurate forward-looking editorial budget.
- Collaborate with staff on story ideas, and with design and photo teams on best execution for stories with a clear visual element
- Edit and publish stories via WordPress
- Oversee the vertical’s financial budget, including projecting month-to-month expenditures and managing travel
- 10+ years of experience in digital sports journalism, including at least five years of direct editorial management
- High-end knowledge of major professional, international and collegiate sports
- This position is based in the United States or Canada.