The Athletic is looking for an electric, versatile and motivated writer who is interested in taking charge of its Culture beat. The ideal candidate has the ability to tell unique and compelling sports and sports-adjacent stories to an audience that appreciates quality above all else. The Athletic is a remote-friendly company with offices in San Francisco, London and Melbourne.
- Excellent news sense, along with strong sources or the ability to cultivate sources to break or advance the news.
- A sharp mind able to analyze a situation and add perspective.
- Must have an above average grasp of contemporary culture as it pertains to music, cinematic arts, style and societal trends.
- Must have a deep knowledge of American history with the ability to connect the dots between the past and present.
- Attention to detail; must be meticulous and thorough when sourcing stories.
- Ability to tell rich, ambitious, features through deep reporting and access that takes readers beyond the superficial storylines.
- Ability to work on several projects at the same time, balancing mid- and long-term projects with the need to deliver stories on a regular basis.
- Innovative approach to story ideation and formats.
- Unique and passionate voice that can stand out from competitors.
- Must have the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and share information.
- Desire to connect with the audience by interacting with the community section.
- Interest in internal metrics that can help educate what subscribers desire.
- Minimum three years of relevant experience at a media company.
- Thorough knowledge of sports, especially basketball, football and baseball.
- Thorough knowledge of the journalistic process.
- Interest in other journalistic platforms, including podcasting, a plus.
The Athletic is a direct-to-consumer digital sports media company committed to helping subscribers experience storytelling in a whole new way. Founded in 2016 and headquartered in San Francisco, The Athletic has over 500 full-time employees and covers more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams in the US, Canada and the UK. The Athletic’s newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth articles along with more than 120 podcasts and premium video content.