The Gainesville Sun, a member of The USA Today Florida Sports Network, seeks an experienced and driven reporter to cover the University of Florida football team.
The right candidate will be someone who can build sources, break news and tell compelling stories from this highly competitive beat. The right candidate will need to stay on top of the football beat year-round, including news on recruiting and the transfer portal, hiring and firings, and any off-the-field incidents. This position requires someone who thinks digital first. Multimedia skills including the ability to produce and edit video and engage audience on social media, especially Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. This person should be comfortable appearing on podcasts and webcasts. The candidate must be comfortable analyzing and interpreting metrics to help make coverage decisions along with the sports editor.
The right candidate will work closely with the team from the Sun and also collaborate with reporters in Gannett’s state, regional and national markets.
Key attributes for success:
· Be the source of Florida football information on and off the field.
. Follow recruiting, including commitments and signings.
· The ability to report and write compelling stories that serve the existing audience and helps attract new consumers.
· Passionate about getting the information to the audience first, and excited about using all the various platforms to connect with audience including videos, social media and podcasting.
· Self-starter with the ability to develop relationships through phone calls, text messaging and social media.
· Understanding the collaborative nature of journalism and willing and eager to work with others to benefit the Sun’s coverage and its audience.
· Prefer minimum 5 years experience writing at a newspaper or website.
· Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field.
· Strong communication skills, news judgment and headline-writing ability.
· Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
· Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks.
· Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style. Ability to work nights and weekends.
· Comfortable building a beat and communicating with athletes and coaches.
· This role requires a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
The Sun is looking to move rapidly to fill this role. Click here to apply. Please include a cover letter including anecdotal examples of your work and how you would approach this role. Additionally, please provide links to at least three pieces of content that demonstrate your best work.