The Iowa Football beat writer lives, eats and breathes Hawkeye Football – both on and off the field – all year round and turns this focus into frequent, in-depth and compelling coverage on and off the field. Whether it’s game coverage & analysis, coaching strategies, player profiles, analysis or facilities, this role is looked at as an authority on everything Iowa Football. This role focuses on the team and program on and off the field, as well as focusing on recruiting and on the state of the sport or Big 10 Conference.
About The Gazette
Based in Cedar Rapids, The Gazette is an independent and employee-owned news organization that is passionate about creating high-impact, high-quality local journalism featuring compelling and engaging storytelling. We’re known for a strong commitment to journalism through our 137-year history. Whether it’s via thegazette.com or its daily seven-day morning newspaper, The Gazette is committed to informing Eastern Iowa and beyond in both digital and print editions. The Gazette operates with a newsroom in Cedar Rapids and an additional bureau in Des Moines and is known as a collaborative news organization.
- Develops forward-looking and comprehensive coverage of everything Iowa Hawkeye Football going far beyond game coverage and analysis. Uses a mix of short-form and long-form projects, varied storytelling formats and platforms.
- Covers the lead-in and all Iowa football games (home and away) as well as all necessary media availability for team, opponents and conference as needed.
- Develops sources within recruiting circles and follow Iowa football recruits with stories, video and updates when needed.
- During the offseason, works on enterprise stories within the program and athletics department.
- Utilizes social media tools and crowdsourcing to identify potential sources, spot trends as well as continue engagement with audience in authentic and compelling voice.
- Creates/edits audio recordings, participates in podcasts and other radio/television opportunities.
Skills & Attributes
- Strong organization skills, confident decision-maker with high accuracy who is able to turn out compelling work under tight deadlines.
- Flexible, inquisitive and self-motivated create go-getter who is able to juggle multiple topics simultaneously.
- Has a strong understanding for digital storytelling and social media engagement, with strong communication and teamwork skills.
- High end knowledge about collegiate football and college sports trends and issues both on and off the field.
- An undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, English or related course of study.
- At least 2-3 years of experience covering sports in digital or print news organization.
- Must have valid driver’s license and history of safe driving habits.
EOE. Pre-employment screenings required including: pre-employment drug screen, background check, motor vehicle record check, and reference checks.