Christina Long and staff members of the Columbia Missourian won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2019 contest for projects in the D Division.
They will be presented with his first-place plaque at the 2020 APSE Summer Conference Banquet on June 27 at The Alexander hotel in Indianapolis.
The staff at Shasta County Sports finished second.
Contest chair Lisa Wilson and fellow APSE officers Todd M. Adams, Gary Potosky and Dan Spears prepared the entries. Sports editors in the D Division entered eight projects in the category.
In February, preliminary judges at the APSE Winter Conference in St. Petersburg, Fla., and off-site around the country, selected a top five, with each judge ranking the entries in order from 1 to 5 separately on a secret ballot. Entries were given five points for a first-place vote, four points for second and so on down to one point for a fifth-place vote. The final five were given to a second judging group, which ranked the entries 1-5 in the same fashion.
The winner and final rankings are determined by tallying the ballots.
The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through fifth-place entries will receive frameable certificates.
Project entries shed new light on personalities and issues in the news, including trends and original ideas. It is pre-planned content that is conceived and executed as a larger body of work. It is not ongoing coverage of a news event over a period of time.
A list of the Top 5:
1. Christina Long and staff, Columbia Missourian, 26 points (4 first-place votes) — Links 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
2. Staff, Shasta County Sports, 18 points — Links 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
3. Mallory Merda, Jake Adams, The Carlisle Sentinel, 16 points (2 first-place votes) — Links: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
4. (tie) Steve Wiseman and staff, The Herald-Sun (Durham, N.C.), 15 points — Links 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
4. (tie) Henry Queen, McClain Baxley, Christian Knox, Prince Robinson, John Bednarowski, Marietta Daily Journal, 14 points — Links 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6