The Commercial Appeal in Memphis is searching for a beat reporter to cover the Grizzlies NBA beat.
The selected candidate will join an award-winning, statewide network which won 22 national Associated Press Sports Editors honors in the past year. The hire will primarily write Memphis Grizzles basketball stories that appeal to the local and state market, and also produce multimedia content. The job will also require coverage of the NBA offseason, reporting on breaking recruiting news and roster developments. Along with the rest of the staff, the person filling this role will also report on other community interest stories and events, including the World Golf Championship summer event.
The USA TODAY Network-Tennessee operation is the largest journalistic entity in the state, with Memphis joining Nashville and Knoxville as one of its three main hubs.
At least two years of experience in sports reporting or equivalent is preferred. Candidates should have competitive beat experience covering college or professional sports.
The position will require the successful candidate to:
* Create smart, thoughtful, engaging and sophisticated content in a variety of formats.
* Provide leadership in developing audiences on Facebook, Twitter and other emerging social platforms, as well as podcasts.
* Think outside of the box in this quickly-changing media world, offering new ways to approach the routine story.
* Be comfortable appearing on camera and in front of a crowd.
* Valid Driver’s License required for this position.
* Must be willing and able to pass a basic background check and drug screening.