Chair: Jim Jenks / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Maintain contact with former members and APSE presidents to make sure they are informed about organizational issues and can stay as involved as they would like to be.
Chair: Hank Winnicki / Hank.Winnicki@newsday.com
- Work with president to maintain contact with commissioners and chief executives of major sporting leagues.
- Organize annual commissioner meetings in New York.
- Should be able to attend meetings in New York.
Chair: Gary Potosky / email@example.com
- Attend winter meeting to discuss and determine sessions for the annual conference.
- Coordinate plans for a program reflective of APSE committee activities.
- Provide workshops and general sessions of relevance and interest to members of all-size papers and media companies.
- May be assigned specific tasks to help organize the summer conference.
Chair: Jorge Rojas / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Solicit member feedback on writing, video, multimedia and digital contests.
- Help the contests evolve and meet membership expectations and needs.
- Streamline and improve entry process.
Chair: A. Sherrod Blakely / email@example.com
- Working with the president, help run and ensure success of APSE Diversity Fellowship Program.
- Help administer the APSE Diversity Pledge .
- Plan sessions for national conference and regional meetings.
- Serve as liaison between APSE and NABJ, NAHJ, NAJA, AAJA and AWSM.
- Work with the program for SJI as needed.
- Advise the executive committee and membership on issues concerning the future of the organization.
Legal Affairs & Ethics
- Consider questions involving legal, ethical and credential issues.
- Advise officers and membership.
- Craft appropriate responses and inquiries from the organization.
Chair: Roxanna Scott / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Working with the APSE president, update members on Olympics issues with website stories.
- Work with the USOC in an advisory capacity on credentials.
- Work with The Associated Press on coverage plans.
- Must be able to attend meeting every other year in Chicago.
Co-chairs: Chris Fickett and Ed Reed / email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recruit and retain APSE members.
- Track and inform membership about staff changes throughout the nation.
- Inform public on APSE news and issues through social media, including Facebook and Twitter.
- Working with the APSE president and officers, spearhead a membership drive.
- Organize convention workshops and general sessions which appeal to small-paper editors.
- Assist regional chairs in planning at least one session at each regional meeting geared for editors of small papers and websites
Chair: Lisa Wilson / email@example.com
- Plans and sets up monthly online programming for APSE and its committees.
Chair: Rachel Crader / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administers voting and works with the president to announce the winner of APSE’s annual Red Smith Award.
Chair: Tommy Deas / email@example.com
- Working with the APSE president, actively seek out and bring aboard new sponsors to support APSE’s objectives and annual events.
Chair: Michael Kates / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Work with regional leadership to ensure each region holds at least one meeting a year.
- Work with regional leadership on professional development offered at region meetings, helping line up speakers and serving as liaison with other committee chairs such as diversity, outreach and so forth.
- Assist regional leadership with timely collection and publication of region news, notes and moves on website.
- Ensure regional leadership is current and active.
Chair: Phil Kaplan / email@example.com
- Administers APSE’s annual scholarship program, including the Garry D. Howard scholarship for HBCU students.
Student Liason/Student Contest
- Coordinates affairs surrounding student chapters and student membership.
- Assist Outreach committee with students and universities.
- Fields inquiries from prospective student members and chapters.
- Collaborates with regional chairs on activities at university campuses.
- Coordinates student-produced and student-related content for the website.
- Directs student activities at conventions.
- Represents student membership in meetings.
- Coordinates and runs the APSE student contest.
Chair: Naila-Jean Meyers / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Produce stories for the APSE website, maintaining a diverse story selection.
- Covers news of APSE and the sports journalism industry as it relates to sports departments.
- Working with chairs, maintains close contact with other committees to produce stories for the website.
- Develop and improve functionality of the website and find ways to make it increasingly dynamic.
- Develop a social strategy for APSE and help with posting, social cards, etc.
Co-chairs: Joey Chandler and Mike Harris / email@example.com
- Plans programming for APSE’s writer members.
- Run the APSE Mentorship Program.
- Select program participants.