The Dallas Morning News is looking for an assistant sports editor to join its award-winning SportsDay team.
North Texas is among a select few markets in the country with franchises in all major sports leagues. College sports play big there, too, with robust alumni bases for many colleges. In high school sports, the quality of competition is unsurpassed and fan interest runs deep. This position will work closely with both beat writers and digital producers to generate quality content to serve our digital and print audiences.
Ideal candidates will be able to:
- Build relationships with staffers, some of whom will primarily work remotely
- Plan for both short-term coverage and long-term projects with an eye toward features/enterprise that will differentiate our report
- Generate content ideas that include an emphasis on the diversity of voices, stories, subjects and perspectives
- Follow closely and develop insight into analytics in coverage areas of responsibility and the newsroom at large as well as communicating goals, wins and losses.
- Ensure that stories are reported fairly, accurately and thoroughly, with sharp, compelling writing.
- Find audience by promoting content through newsletters and social channels and experiment with different ways of storytelling
- Work across departments in and out of the newsroom to maximize the editorial and revenue possibilities of sports content
- Take a hands-on approach to breaking news across digital platforms and display a willingness to create content as needed
- Show strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask on deadline
- Display exceptional news judgment with ability to recognize digital potential of stories that will resonate with our audience
- There will be some night and weekend work involved with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Five years of news experience preferred
- Previous manager job is a plus, but not required
- Strong communication and collaboration experience
- Exposure to deadline-driven environment
- Internal Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
- Internal Culture Committee
- Leadership Development Programs
- Annual Unconscious Bias Training
- Flexible Work Schedules
- Monthly Webinars addressing Health & Wealth for all employees
- Medical/Dental and Vision insurance
- MDLive Telemedicine 24/7/365 access to board certified doctors
- FMLA and Parental Leave
- Onsite Fitness Center
- Retirement benefits, including employer contributions
- Employee Assistance Program
- 18 Paid Time Off Days
News you can use regarding Dallas Morning News: The Dallas Morning News is Texas’ leading daily newspaper with a bedrock journalistic reputation, intense regional focus and close community ties. It is dedicated to covering the issues that impact everyday lives in North Texas. More than 12 million people a month read The News’ content published in print, online or digitally. Founded in 1885, The News maintains one of the largest newsrooms in Texas and has won nine Pulitzer Prizes.