The Anderson Independent-Mail/independentmail.com, part of the USA TODAY network, is looking for an energetic, enterprising sports reporter to cover mostly high school sports but also anything else that catches the eye in this sports-oriented community in Upstate South Carolina.
We’re not looking for run-of-the mill coverage. Our readers already know what the score was. They want something more meaningful stories that get at who the athletes and why they compete, and what schools are doing to ensure their athletes are safe and successful. We need a reporter who can hunt down those stories.
Friday nights in the fall are the focus for our sports reporter, but enterprise stories are the heart of this beat. Finding interesting, well-read stories that take place off the field is essential to making this beat a success. That means a lot of hard work meeting sources, talking with parents and getting the pulse of our sports community.
In the offseason, it will be essential to dig into issues and look for unique stories on other fields of play – summer baseball, recreational sports and our nearby lakes are just a few areas where interesting stories are likely to be found.
Anderson is a thriving, diverse community that’s a 30-minute drive from Clemson and Greenville, a 45-minute trip to the Blue Ridge Mountains and a half-day’s drive to the beautiful Atlantic coast. We’re halfway between Atlanta and Charlotte. There’s plenty to do regardless of your interests.
The last reporter in this role went on to cover Division I college athletics in a Power Five conference, so it can be a springboard to a much bigger audience.
- Creating storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages.
- Tailoring coverage to the audience through the use of digital analytics.
- Working toward becoming the community’s leading voice in high school athletics.
- Connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) and by providing thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Working with newsroom leaders to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Taking photos and video as needed to augment our digital first coverage.
- Promoting a personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Providing great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous reporting experience preferred; even better if you’ve covered sports.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills
- Sound news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends.
- Comfort building a beat and communicating with athletes and coaches.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits.