Lee Enterprises is hiring an ambitious, digitally-focused sports reporter who thinks beyond game coverage to deliver hyperlocal journalism for the Baraboo News Republic in Baraboo, Wisconsin.
This person’s primary beat will be coverage of three high schools, but they also will be part of a larger team working to cover south central Wisconsin and beyond as part of Lee Sports Wisconsin.
The reporter will be part of a rotation of editors who plan daily print coverage, but no design experience is required and training will be provided. The majority of the person’s time will be dedicated to reporting.
The right candidate will:
- Demonstrate an eye for enterprising angles and the ability to write compelling features
- Understand how to shoot and edit video
- Have a passion for local news and the communities that depend on it
- Be able to show their ability to build an online audience
- Enjoy collaborating with reporters across the state to tell bigger stories and tackle bigger issues
Other things that will be helpful in this role:
- Ability to shoot photographs
- Previous copy editing or print planning experience, at a college publication or in a professional setting
- Experience driving digital subscriptions
- Basic understanding of news analytics
Please include with your application at least five examples that showcase your creativity and range as a journalist, including one non-writing example (podcast, video, social media post, etc.). Please do not include more than one game story in your samples.
You should consider applying if you meet most of the above qualifications. Lee Sports Wisconsin is made up of nine daily newspapers and several weekly publications, including the Wisconsin State Journal, the second-largest newspaper in the state. This reporter’s work will appear in the State Journal and other publications, including the Portage Daily Register and the Beaver Dam Daily Citizen. While this is the only sports position at the Baraboo News Republic, the reporter will be supported by a team of reporters and editors in the immediate area.