The Bay Area News Group (Mercury News/East Bay Times) is seeking a Night Sports Editor to lead our evening sports coverage. This person will work closely with the sports editors and writers on our digital and print offerings. We are looking for a highly organized individual with a vast knowledge of and passion for sports.
- Coordinate coverage plans with the sports editing and reporting teams
- Edit/post staff and/or freelancers’ live game stories and occasional enterprise
- React quickly to breaking sports news, assign coverage and rearrange priorities as needed
- Implement digital platform strategies to maximize our audience (i.e. website, social, newsletters, push alerts)
- Publish content to the site with strong headlines and search engine optimization
- Set print budgets and coordinate with a remote print production desk
- Jump in on aggregation or reporting assignments when needed
- Provide detailed handoff notes to the early morning team
- Work one weekend shift
Competencies & Skills
- Solid sports news judgment
- Ability to edit a range of material from quick hits to deeper, big-picture narratives
- Excellent communication skills regardless of the platform (i.e. in-person, Slack, Zoom, email, texts, etc.)
- Attention to detail and organization
- Ability to work harmoniously with other departments (i.e. audience, photo and print production teams)
- Experience using analytics tools (i.e. Google Analytics, Parse.ly and Chartbeat)
Required Applications / Platform Knowledge / Softwares etc
- CMS systems like Word Press
- Slack/Google Suite
- Print CMS like SAXO (willing to train)
- This job operates in a professional office environment and at the Company and client sites for business meetings and presentations. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- This position may be a permanent remote role.