The Bay Area News Group (Mercury News/East Bay Times) is seeking an Assistant Sports Editor, an integral piece for its sports leadership team, someone who will help strategize, implement, manage and innovate content across every digital channel: our websites, newsletters, videos; our Twitter, Facebook and Instagram presence in an effort to improve our digital offerings and increase our number of digital subscribers.
Duties will include …
* Assign and edit a small team of sports reporters and collaborate with other members of the sports management group.
* Manage the play of content across our websites and apps. * Run our social channels and experiment with new ones.
* Help analyze key analytics and routinely share that information with the staff.
* Preach an audience-first, engagement-heavy approach and show others how that’s done.
* Be the master of SEO, and maintaining best practices within our WordPress CMS.
* Help take our newsletter, social engagement and games to another level.
* Work closely with our writers on best practices of social, video, newsletters, linking and SEO.
* Bring an editor’s eye to headlines, leads, subject lines, promos, etc.
* Jump in on aggregation or reporting assignments when needed.
* Contribute ideas for stories, videos, special packages, unique subscriber deals, etc.
If you’re the right candidate, your experience, interviews, social channels and reference checks will convince us that you have a powerful mix of these things:
* Solid news judgment.
* Previous story editing and mentor experience (minimum two years)
* A passion for social media. * Experience in a digital journalism environment.
* The ability to work collaboratively across multiple teams and publishing platforms in a fast-paced digital environment.
* Good knowledge of digital content tools and systems and the ability to train journalists to use them most effectively.
* Experience using analytics tools, including Google Analytics, Parse.ly and Chartbeat.
* Familiarity with and interest in sports is a must; familiarity with Bay Area sports a big plus.
* Willingness to adapt schedule around major events.
* Willingness to work nights and weekends.
Please email your cover letter, resume and clips ASAP to firstname.lastname@example.org.