The Centre Daily Times and its parent company, McClatchy, are looking for an ambitious, motivated and digital savvy reporter to cover the Penn State football beat. This reporter will focus on all things related to Penn State football — breaking news, recruiting, in-depth feature stories and player profiles and behind-the-scenes stories from Beaver Stadium.
The reporter will use social media, Google trends and other tools to identify, write and/or aggregate stories that appeal to a wide audience.
This reporter will deliver quick-turn stories about what’s trending or about to trend with Penn State football and also produce enterprise stories that engage fans. Live coverage of games should be expected.
This job requires the ability to write for digital and print platforms in a way that resonates with our audience. Using tools such as analytics and social media, it’s imperative that this reporter connects with the local community and understands what it means to deliver the news that is essential.
- Strong writing skills and excellent news judgment.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit, deep curiosity and extremely high energy.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a team.
- Comfort with a job that will be demanding, fast-paced and constantly evolving.
- A good grasp of what drives interest on Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms and tools used to surface story ideas
- The ability to build a vast pool of sources
- Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Ability to verify the authenticity of information, sources, photos and video found through social media.
- Work with editors to assure that stories are complete, fair and in context.
- Use audience metrics to determine which stories are resonating with readers and which are not.
- Produce basic photos and videos as needed, and work with visuals staff while planning for stories.