The Charlotte Observer is searching for an analytical and audience-focused reporter to cover the Charlotte Hornets.
Interest in the Hornets was up significantly last season nationally and locally as the team made the NBA postseason for the first time since 2016. This reporter must keep their finger on the pulse of what Hornets fans are talking about and drive that conversation forward. They’ll do this by helping The Observer maintain its position as the authority on all things Hornets — cultivating key team and league sources, developing relationships in the locker room and providing smart analysis and commentary our readers seek.
This isn’t a typical beat reporting job. Yes, you will be expected to break news and be agile, but often going to a game won’t mean writing a “game story.” We want someone who can contextualize what they see on the court and use that to routinely paint a clearer picture of what it means to the greater scope of the season and franchise.
In this role you will …
- Break news related to the Hornets and the NBA.
- Report larger enterprise stories and profiles.
- Write analysis and commentary about the Hornets and the NBA.
- Engage with fans via social media.
- Use audience metric tools to better understand what readers are most interested in.
- Stay up to date with what fans are talking about on social media and Reddit.
This position requires that you drive in order to fulfill the responsibilities of the position so you must have:
- Reliable transportation
- Valid driver’s license
- Vehicle insurance with at least the minimum insurance coverage required for the state in which you will be working.
When Applying: Please include work samples or a link to your portfolio that includes:
- Breaking news,
- Writing with voice and digital-only pieces (unique video features, podcasts, etc.)