N.C. STATE BEAT REPORTER — RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER
The N.C. State beat reporter breaks news and delivers exclusive enterprise and smart analysis in a fast-paced, competitive environment. The N.C. State beat reporter should have a deep knowledge of the ACC and NCAA and be adept at building sources. A strong source network is vital to being out front of competitors, and this reporter must be able to find and break news, cover breaking news with urgency and develop compelling enterprise and analysis. Games only make up a small percentage of what college athletics are about, and we want someone who is just as comfortable breaking down film as they are filing an open records request or reading through court documents. We also want someone who can bring new ideas to the table and isn’t afraid to try new things with our coverage. In covering one of the most important beats in the Carolinas, the N.C. State reporter will use social media as a news-gathering tool, an engagement opportunity and a means to put our news and enterprise in front of a topic-specific audience across Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and other platforms.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Find and break N.C. State news on a competitive beat.
- Report breaking news as it happens – be fast and first, without sacrificing accuracy and clarity.
- Build a wide range of sources — from players and coaches locally to agents, ACC officials and experts — to help us maintain our spot as the authority on all-things Wolfpack against local and national outlets for breaking news and enterprise.
- Write analytically for the sports fans who have watched the game but are looking for a deeper understanding of what they saw.
- Proactively look for opportunities to tap into trending topics as they relate to N.C. State.
- Work collaboratively as part of a team with other reporters and editors.
- Bring your own story ideas to the table, and be ready to take assignments as well.
- Be a master of social media – both as a news-gathering tool, and as a way to push the news out quickly and build our audience and engagement, as well as your own brand.
- Understand your audience metrics – which of your stories are resonating with readers, and which are not? Working with your editor, regularly mine this data for takeaways about how we can build and engage our audience.
- Regularly enhance your stories with your video, third-party video, embedded tweets and links to related stories.
- Find enterprise stories that make for a deeper read and use storytelling techniques to engage readers.
McClatchy is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) for all applicants and employees. McClatchy considers all candidates without regard to basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, medical condition, family care status, pregnancy or physical disability (except where physical fitness is a valid occupational qualification), or any other basis protected by state and federal laws.
To apply, please go to the job ad on the McClatchy website: https://jobs.jobvite.com/mcclatchy/job/oXkUcfw7