The Spokesman-Review (Spokane, Wash.) is seeking a hard-working, creative force for our sports desk who has flair for dynamic design. Technically, we’re looking for someone proficient in both InDesign and Photoshop. Experience working in Blox and Django would definitely be a plus, but not required.
Potential candidates would have solid copy-editing skills and be organized, while also having the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once. Ability to collaborate, work within a team environment and communicate with co-workers is also important. We are a relatively young newsroom with a lot of energy and a very aggressive approach to local news. We’re a family-owned, 75,000-circ newspaper with a newsroom of 55 people.
This position includes a full suite of benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, EAP, LTD, paid vacation, holidays and sick time, a matching 401(k) program and more!
This position serves to contribute to The Spokesman-Review’s mission to inform its audience through accurate, thorough, helpful, fair and lively page designing, headline writing, caption writing and copy editing. This position works with our reporters and editors, universal desk mates and management to ensure clean designs and fair and accurate stories.
- Ensure fairness in stories and check for consistency with previous stories as needed.
- Edit stories for spelling, grammar, style and clarity. Double check that names, places and organizations are spelled properly, and that facts, dates and statistics are accurate.
- Work closely with reporters/writers, suggesting changes to enhance articles’ readability, conciseness and style.
- Assist reporters/writers researching topics, locate and contact sources throughout the development of stories.
- Use solid news judgment in selecting and editing wire copy.
- On a nightly basis, maintain a close eye on our website, updating when necessary.
- Be willing and able to localize a national story when appropriate and do it quickly when needed.
- Finished stories should be clear and concise; self-edit for clean copy that can be posted quickly when needed for competitive reasons.
- Utilize art possibilities for every story, both in print and online, to increase and improve audience engagement; pull in graphics, design, photo and online team members so they can gain a better understanding of the story, when appropriate.
- Pitch stories for newspaper’s front page and homepage when appropriate.
- Promote and assist in the development and facilitation of events designed to promote public awareness and readership of The Spokesman-Review.
- Participate and provide positive experiences at company events as a liaison with key audiences/stakeholders such as community members, readers, service providers, donors, etc.
- Create a positive attitude that cultivates a sense of camaraderie and chemistry in our newsroom that helps us not only achieve our goals but exceed them. This positivity is essential as we focus on helping our newspaper go forward with strategies aimed at our longtime survival.
- Proficient in use of a computer and smartphone, including use of Newsgate and Django content management systems. Demonstrate ability to create hyperlinks, attach photos, understand SEO and Key Performance Indicators. Ability to use a smartphone to files stories and multimedia from the field and to stay current with news events. Demonstrate social media skills on Twitter, Facebook and any emerging social media networks as a way to both promote and enhance your journalism.
- Regular attendance is required as well as punctuality for assigned meetings, works shifts and interviews. Ability to work in adverse conditions and unusual schedules when news breaks.
- Must understand and uphold the standards, ethics and mission of journalism at The Spokesman-Review on all platforms.
- Premium on organizational skills, able to meet changing deadlines, deal with multiple stories at once, keep supervisors abreast of developments, and work with other staff members on stories.
- Read The Spokesman-Review, both in print and online, and stay current with all relative news sources.
- Maintain a high degree of professionalism in representing The Spokesman-Review, always striving for fairness and accuracy.
- Some travel will be required to cover events/stories.