The Athletic is seeking a Senior Editor, NHL. This is a senior role contributing to comprehensive editorial oversight of our NHL coverage, using data analytics to optimize performance, and partner with stakeholders across the editorial organization and business teams on a range of initiatives.
• Manage a staff of reporters with an emphasis on the delivery of news and distinct team analysis.
• Assist with the big picture, conceptual vision for the vertical, including long-term direction; generating and planning story ideas; editorial platforms; expansion opportunities.
• Establish process and priorities to balance content assignments ranging from short-form and breaking news to daily coverage to long-form projects.
• Work to bring a distinctive, compelling, and authentic voice to all digital media products.
• Maintain an understanding and proficiency of subscription and engagement metrics.
• Maintain proficiency and knowledge of SEO. (Best practices available).
• Contribute to oversight of staffing assignments, editorial resources and process. Maintain an updated and accurate forward-looking editorial budget.
• Collaborate with staff on story ideas, and with design and photo teams on best execution for stories with a clear visual element.
• Edit and publish stories via WordPress.
• 4+ years of experience in digital sports journalism, including at least two years of direct editorial management
• High-end knowledge of hockey, at the NHL level and beyond
• This position is based in the United States or Canada
Click here to apply.