The Courier Journal, part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a University of Louisville men’s basketball beat writer with a proven capability to help lead a highly competitive and critical part of our coverage.
The Courier Journal in May was awarded a 2020 Pulitzer Prize for its breaking news coverage. It’s a high-performing newsroom focused on meeting the demands of an engaged readership. Louisville has some of the highest-profile coverage opportunities in the country: national championship-caliber college basketball teams; SEC, ACC and Big Ten football; and the world-famous Kentucky Derby.
We seek a college basketball writer who understands how to drive real-time coverage across digital platforms, using video and social media to deepen the report and connect with fans. This reporter must know that every story must be written with the intent to attract loyal readers and drive digital subscriptions that build long lasting relationships with our audience.
This reporter must absolutely own their beat in every way: Breaking hard news stories, writing on the latest trends, has keen knowledge of investigative writing, the court systems and Freedom of Information Act requests, expertise on the intricacies of collegiate basketball and the basketball recruiting trail.
Louisville basketball has been slammed with NCAA infractions, and this reporter must be able to dominate the news cycle with coverage from all angles, including breaking news and investigative reporting.
The person for this job will put a personal touch on their writing and use their knowledge and sources to provide our readers with an “inside scoop” into the program, the conference and our community. This reporter will be expected to hit the ground running with fresh ideas and compelling coverage.
Innovation, creativity and strategic planning are vital to this position’s success. This reporter must also be willing to write on other sports in the offseason, including college softball and the Kentucky Derby. This position requires nights and weekends.
The Courier Journal is an 11-time Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization in a metro area known for its nationally recognized chefs and restaurants; vibrant music scene, including the Forecastle music festival; world-class bourbon distilleries; and Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. The quality of life is sky-high and the cost of living is impressively low.
Job requirements include:
- Must be skilled at reporting, writing and editing
- Must write 6-8 stories per week, including features, breaking news and sporting event coverage; must be able to generate creative story ideas beyond just the game
- Knowledge of Freedom of Information Act requests and the courts system.
- Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
- Must be proficient in social media
- Must be able to develop and maintain relationships with public figures within the communities/school districts of coverage
- Demonstrates a consistent effort
- Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner