The Courier Journal, part of the USA TODAY Network, is seeking a high school sports reporter with a proven capability to help lead a highly competitive and critical part of our coverage.
The Courier Journal was awarded a 2020 Pulitzer Prize for its breaking news coverage. It’s a high-performing newsroom focused on meeting the demands of an engaged readership. Louisville has some of the highest-profile coverage opportunities in the country: national championship-caliber college basketball teams; SEC, ACC and Big Ten football; and the world-famous Kentucky Derby.
We seek a high school sports reporter who understands how to drive real-time coverage across digital platforms, using video and social media to deepen the report and connect with fans. This reporter must know that every story must be written with the intent to attract loyal readers and drive digital subscriptions that build long lasting relationships with our audience. We’re looking for an innovative sports writer who can also spearhead the launch of our weekly high school sports newsletter. This will be a new addition to our coverage that can bring loyal subscribers to our website and must be taken seriously and proactively by our new reporter.
The ideal candidate is a bonafide stats wizard! We look for someone who is analytical, thorough and precise in compiling player and team statistics, creating attention-grabbing listicles, finding unique story angles and developing a working relationship with the coaches and athletic directors in the community. Innovation, creativity and strategic planning are vital to this position’s success. This reporter must also be willing to compile agate when needed. This position requires nights and weekends.
The Courier Journal is an 11-time Pulitzer Prize-winning news organization in a metro area (Louisville) known for its nationally recognized chefs and restaurants; vibrant music scene, including the Forecastle music festival; world-class bourbon distilleries; and Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. The quality of life is sky-high and the cost of living is impressively low.
Job requirements include:
- Must be skilled at reporting, writing and editing
- Must write 6-8 stories per week, including features, breaking news and sporting event coverage; must be able to generate creative story ideas beyond just the game
- Experience curating a weekly newsletter is a plus
- Must have strong knowledge of AP style and be able to write and edit stories for grammar, spelling, content and libel.
- Must be proficient in social media
- Must be able to develop and maintain relationships with public figures within the communities/school districts of coverage
- Demonstrates a consistent effort
- Responds to emails, texts and voicemails in a timely manner
The application only allows one document upload, so please provide all your materials combined as a single attachment (resume, cover letter, work samples, portfolio, links, etc.). This will ensure that you receive the highest consideration.