The Seattle Times, a Pulitzer Prize-winning newspaper and one of the few remaining independent news organizations in the country, is looking to hire a sports reporter to contribute to year-round print-and-digital sports coverage at The Seattle Times, with a strong emphasis on Seattle Kraken and NHL.
We’re looking for an experienced journalist who can cover games, practices, and news, and produce analysis and enterprise stories related to the Kraken, NHL, and other sports topics. You will prepare accurate, fair, balanced and carefully researched stories and multimedia posts to meet assigned deadlines; seek a variety of sources in covering a story; and approach coverage with inclusivity in mind at every stage of the reporting process, from story framing to sourcing to word selection.
You will seek out and act quickly on story opportunities on all platforms; aggressively follow through on stories, including interacting with readers after publication through chats, comments, or other engagement tools.
We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive newsroom and encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. If your profile doesn’t match this job description exactly, you may still be a candidate for this position. Please let us know how your skills and experience relate to the role and its objectives.
Experience: At least three years’ reporting experience for a daily newspaper or news website.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or relevant equivalent experience.
- Excellent grammar and language skills.
- Cultural competence and familiarity with best journalistic practices related to equity and inclusion.
- The ability to write clear, well-focused and well-organized stories. Handle a variety of stories and writing approaches. Write clear, appropriate leads. Write with authority based on clear understanding of topic or beat. Self-edit for crisp, clean copy on multiple platforms. Use good interview techniques and effective quotes.
- Familiarity with digital news production, social media, and analytics.
- Ability to analyze facts and make judgments about relevance, newsworthiness, fairness, etc., under pressure and on deadline.
- Ability to write stories using WordPress, Cedar, or other content management systems.
- Experience covering breaking news and filing from the field
This position requires a criminal background check and drug screen for controlled substances (including marijuana). As a union-represented position, you will also be required to join a union and pay membership dues.
Founded in 1896, The Seattle Times continues its tradition as a family-owned, independent newspaper that cuts through the clutter and provides readers with timely, relevant news. As the largest newsroom in the Pacific Northwest, we serve the region with thoughtful journalism that makes a real difference in our community. And as a media solutions company, Seattle Times Media Solutions combines cutting-edge digital capabilities and service with the values and integrity of respected traditional media… with an established audience of 1.9 million. At The Seattle Times, you’ll find work that matters.
Click here to apply. Resume and attachments over 10 MB per file cannot be accepted.