|The Associated Press Sports Editors summer conference will take place for the first time in two years and sessions will be focused on how the pandemic interrupted our news gathering process and what the future looks like in a world of limited access and Zoom press conferences. The conference is scheduled for Aug. 15-18 at the Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel and Casino. Conference registration and hotel reservations are now open. Click here to register and make your reservations.|
This year’s conference will also feature an Awards Brunch at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 18.
In addition, the Red Smith Award luncheon on Tuesday, Aug. 17, will honor both Christine Brennan of USA TODAY and Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post. Brennan was the 2020 winner and Jenkins was the 2021 recipient.
Here are some highlights of planned sessions: ·
· The Zoom news conference changed the way we do our jobs. Why we’ll push to get back into the locker room and tell the stories that only come with in-person access.
· How did news organizations adjust during the pandemic and sports shutdown? What did we learn and what is here to stay?
· There’s an I in DEI: Building a more diverse and inclusive newsroom.
· As more states approve sports betting, how do we cover it for our readers in a sophisticated way that goes beyond which team will cover the spread.
· Naomi Osaka withdraws from French Open and prompts a discussion on athletes, mental health and the role of traditional media.
· A conversation with Associated Press editors that will feature plans for expanded sports betting and fantasy content, AP’s coverage of the Olympics, AP Newsroom improvements and more.
· The changing role of the general interest sports columnist, featuring a panel of Bill Plaschke of the Los Angeles Times and Kurt Streeter of The New York Times along with Brennan and Jenkins.
· Small organizations share ideas for covering high school sports and more.
· And a general session on top projects and stories of the year from the APSE contest will precede the Awards Brunch.
A tentative conference schedule will be announced shortly.