The award-winning Philadelphia Inquirer Sports Desk is looking for an ambitious, game-changing Digital Sports Editor to reshape and define the way our journalists tell stories and engage with our audiences. This is a rewarding, fast-paced job in one of the most passionate sports cities in America. We’re looking for someone who understands how to grow audience, can guide a team of talented reporters and is deeply familiar with the Philadelphia sports landscape. Bottom line: the Digital Sports Editor’s mission is make our sports news report relevant, timely, vital and vibrant in the digital space.
What You’ll Do
In partnership with the Managing Editor for Sports and the team, this editor will work to:
- Direct the digital sports coverage plan for our pro, college and high school teams.
- Directly supervise a significant portion of our reporting teams, maximizing our impact on game days, special projects, and major enterprise.
- Provide editorial direction in all facets — from how we allocate resources to determining staffing needs to developing a podcast strategy and beyond.
- Make decisions about what we cover and how we cover it, assigning and editing stories and projects.
- Work with our Emmy-winning video team to identify and produce more visual stories and interactive features.
- Drive stronger approaches to coverage, memorable enterprise and service journalism.
- Serve as the primary liaison to our Producer, Audience and Product teams.
- Invent and design experiences and innovate new story forms that become regular elements of our coverage.
- Set a new standard for desk-wide goals for digital storytelling.
- Initiate specific lines of reporting and enterprise coverage and actively manage staff members to pursue them.
- Guide the backfield toward better execution in conceptualizing, editing and executing new story forms.
Who We’re Looking For
- A keen understanding of the Philadelphia sports scene
- Experience managing projects.
- Proficient in digital content management tools
- Fundamental editing, coaching and collaborative skills
- Reporting and research skills necessary to become a subject matter expert
- Strong writing skills, including use of alternative story forms and conversational voice
- Skills in brainstorming, planning and coordinating multimedia storytelling
- Social media (Twitter, Facebook)
- Basic skills in analytics (Parse.ly)
- Building a digital story with links, tags, SEO
- Basic knowledge of what works in multimedia storytelling
- Editing for the web
- Basic Excel
- Basic audio and video
- Headline writing for digital audiences
- Ability to aggregate content (text, video, social media) from one’s topical area
Other Things to Know
- Competitive salary and benefits package that includes a 401(k), on-site fitness center, parental leave, employee profit-sharing, complimentary La Colombe coffee and more.
- We know not everyone reading this will fit exactly what we’ve described. We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it. As an equal opportunity employer, The Inquirer is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs.