Assistant Managing Editor/Sports
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Sports Department is looking for an ambitious, game-changing Assistant Managing Editor/Sports to lead an award-winning sports staff in one of America’s most passionate sports cities. We’re looking for someone who understands how to engage audiences on all platforms, can guide a team of talented journalists and is familiar with the Pittsburgh sports landscape. The PG, a perennial Top 10 performer in APSE’s annual contests, is deeply committed to providing market-best coverage of Pittsburgh’s pro, college and high school sports. The PG newsroom is physically located on Pittsburgh’s North Shore smack dab in the middle between PNC Park and Heinz Field.
What You’ll Do
- Direct the digital and print sports coverage for our pro, college and high school teams.
- Directly supervise our reporting teams, maximizing our impact on game days, special projects, and major enterprise.
- Provide editorial direction in all facets — from how we allocate resources to determining staffing needs to developing a podcast strategy and beyond.
- Make decisions about what we cover and how we cover it, assigning and editing stories and projects.
- Invent and design experiences and innovate new story forms that become regular elements of our coverage.
- Initiate specific lines of reporting and enterprise coverage and actively manage staff members to pursue them.
Who We’re Looking For
- A keen understanding of the Pittsburgh sports scene
- Experience managing projects and daily coverage
- Proficient in digital content management tools
- Fundamental editing, coaching and collaborative skills
- Reporting and research skills necessary to become a subject-matter expert
- Skills in brainstorming, planning and coordinating multimedia storytelling
- Social media (Twitter, Facebook)
- Basic skills in analytics (Chartbeat, Google Analytics)
- Basic knowledge of what works in multimedia storytelling
- Editing for the web
- Headline writing for digital audiences
- Ability to aggregate content (text, video, social media) from one’s topical area
Other Things to Know
- Competitive salary and benefits package.
- We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it.
- As an equal opportunity employer, the Post-Gazette is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism– required
- 5 to 8 years of sports news experience, preferably on digital platforms – required
- 2 years of managerial/supervisory experience – required
- Strong line editing experience – preferred
- Knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat – required
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor staff;
- Display exceptional work ethic, time management, and organization skills.
To apply, go to:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be given equal consideration regardless of their race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, veteran status, non-job related physical or mental disability or sexual/affectional orientation. Also, we will not hire individuals that use nicotine products, and will conduct a pre-employment screen to test for the use of nicotine products. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)