The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Western Pennsylvania’s largest newspaper and home to some of America’s most storied sports teams, is currently seeking applicants for a copy editor position to join our talented sports desk. We’re looking for a versatile editor to elevate the quality award-winning coverage across three professional teams, several major colleges and a deep high school scene in a sports-obsessed city. The ideal candidate should have:
- A proven record for ensuring accuracy and fairness in the content we produce.
- The ability to edit for content, grammar, style and punctuation on all PG print and digital platforms.
- Strong sports knowledge and passion for compelling sports journalism.
- An ability to react quickly to breaking news and deliver well-edited content to a website and social platforms.
- The skill to write accurate and compelling web headlines, print headlines and captions that will capture the attention of discerning sports fans.
- A stellar reputation for strong news judgment and meeting deadlines.
- A strong ability to manage parallel projects at once.
- The propensity to collaborate with editors, reporters and the visual team.
- Be proficient at using a variety of print and digital content management tools.
- Familiarity with common forms of social media story design and tools.
- Experience designing print pages or an ability to learn a new skill set.
- Comfort using all forms of visual multimedia, including: video, audio, still images, data and illustration.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism but not a must
- 2 to 5 years of copy editing and layout experience
- Strong verbal, written communication skills as well as strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to deliver news on social media platforms
- Strong analytical and strategic planning skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional work ethic, time management, and organization skills
Other Things to Know
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- We encourage everyone to apply who shares our passion for indispensable journalism and our drive to create a sustainable business model to support it
To apply, email cover letter and resume to Ryan Winn (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As an equal opportunity employer, the Post-Gazette is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture, and we encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with special needs. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE)