The Seattle Times, a family-owned news organization and one of the nation’s premier regional news sources, is looking for a skilled Sports Designer to join our Pulitzer Prize-winning newsroom.
As part of our daily news team, you will be comfortable working cross-collaboratively with many members of the Newsroom. You should have no trouble working independently to help shape and craft the presentation and design of Sports content. Ideally, you have a strong command of social media and applications as they relate to news-worthy platforms to tell captivating stories.
In this full-time, exempt role, you will report to the Assistant Sports Editor.
- Contribute to story planning, making informed decisions about story play and presentation.
- Collaborate with copy editors and photo editors to organize content.
- Facilitate the design of daily Sports content for all platforms.
- Organize the presentation of all content in the Sports section (except Fanfare).
- Plan accordingly to meet deadlines for each addition.
- Work flexibly to address different assignment needs, adapting to change quickly and creatively as projects evolve.
- Maintain attention to detail and work effectively while interacting with various members of the Newsroom and company.
- Help out with other proofing/production/online duties as needed.
- Uphold standards of accuracy, fairness, equity and journalistic ethics.
- Experience: At least one year of experience working in print design, with a deep knowledge of sports and sports journalism.
- Education: Requires a bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- Must be familiar with common content-management practices.
- Requires willingness to master constantly changing technology and adapt to and embrace current and future newsroom publishing and company systems.
- Must have strong grammar and language skills.
- Must demonstrate familiarity with inclusive journalism practices, with an eye toward racial and gender equity in story play and presentation.
- Requires visual acuity.
- Must have the ability to organize time well and juggle multiple tasks. Must be able to meet daily and changing deadlines and balance workloads.
- Must demonstrate willingness to perform routine but necessary duties.
- Should be able to respond constructively to direction, suggestions, and critiques.
- Must have a solid foundation in journalistic principles. Must understand and uphold the standards, ethics and mission of visual journalism at The Seattle Times, regardless of platform.
- Ability to work remotely in emergencies through mastery of necessary software and access to required fonts, phone numbers and other information.
- Read The Seattle Times and other relevant news sources to keep abreast of current events.
Schedule | This role is scheduled for Monday through Friday, from 3-11:30 p.m.
Please Note | As a union-represented position, you will be required to join a union and pay regular membership dues.