Anthony Soufflé of the Star Tribune won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2020 contest in Category A Feature Photo.
Soufflé will be presented a first-place plaque at the 2021 APSE Summer Conference Banquet at the Flamingo Hotel in Las Vegas on Aug. 18.
J. Conrad Williams, Jr. of Newsday finished second and Keith Birmingham of Southern California News Group was third.
A Feature Photo entry is judged on the quality of the photo. Representatives from the Associated Press photo department serve as judges.
Contest chair and First Vice President Gary Potosky and fellow APSE officers — President Lisa Wilson, Second Vice President Jorge Rojas and Third Vice President Steve Hemphill prepared the entries.
The winner in each category will receive a plaque at the summer conference. The second- through 9th-place finishers will receive frameable certificates.
The top 9 is listed below:
1. Anthony Soufflé, Star Tribune
2. J. Conrad Williams, Jr., Newsday
3. Keith Birmingham, Southern California News Group
4. Jerry Holt, Star Tribune
5. Steve Falk, The Philadelphia Inquirer
6. Hans Gutknecht, Southern California News Group
7. Rich Sugg, The Kansas City Star
8. John McDonnell, The Washington Post
9. Tom Fox, The Dallas Morning News