The Gazette is hiring a preps editor, a key member of the Sports team in the newsroom who will lead coverage of 35-plus high schools in the Colorado Springs area.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Maintain a close working relationship with potential news sources, as well as general reporting. Engage readers through social media by responding to reader comments and pursuing other avenues of interaction with audiences. Maintain gazettepreps.com and help with The Gazette Preps social media accounts.
- Using independent judgment and imagination, be on alert for breaking news in order to generate story ideas and plan coverage effectively.
- Write stories with digital focus and other stories with a print focus, shoot video to tell the story.
- Edit and provide feedback to staff and assist staff in reaching wider audiences by framing stories smartly, improving social media headlines and driving audience centered sports coverage.
- Must have copy editing skills.
- Provide coverage of other sports, as needed, during the summer.
- Assign photos for high school events.
- Must adhere to AP style and adapt to in-house style guide.
- Must live near or in coverage area (25 miles of Colorado Springs)
- Work with Sports Editor to ensure event coverage.
Minimum Education & Work Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or other related field.
- At least 2-5 years of experience in a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment when seeking out and posting breaking news.
- Must be able operate a camera equipped with still and video capabilities.
- Must have a working vehicle and ability to cover events across Colorado.
- Must be able to write clearly and succinctly on a variety of topics, which may extend beyond the primary focus of the beat.
- Coordinate coverage with other departments across the newsroom.
- Basic knowledge of web publishing tools and/or the ability to learn new technology quickly.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to meet deadline in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.