Rob Schumacher of The Arizona Republic won first place in the Associated Press Sports Editors 2019 contest in A Division: Feature photo.
Schumacher, with his photo of Tiger Woods, edged runner-up Heather Khalifa of The Philadelphia Inquirer. USA TODAY Sports’ Jeff Curry placed third.
Contest chair Lisa Wilson and fellow APSE officers Todd M. Adams, Gary Potosky and Dan Spears prepared the entries. Sports editors in the A Division entered 49 feature photos.
In February, photographers from The Associated Press met and handled judging for the photo portion of the APSE contest. They chose a top 10 and then ranked them 1-10.
The contest is open to APSE members. Click here to join.
Schumacher will be presented with a first-place plaque at the 2020 APSE Summer Conference banquet at the Alexander Hotel in Indianapolis on June 27. The second- through 10th-place winners will receive certificates.
The top 10, with links to the winning entries:
- Rob Schumacher, The Arizona Republic (image No. 45 in gallery)
- Heather Khalifa, The Philadelphia Inquirer
- Jeff Curry, USA TODAY Sports
- Chris Sweda, Chicago Tribune
- Brett Coomer, Houston Chronicle
- Karl Mondon, The Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.)
- Nick Wagner, Austin American-Statesman (first one under Wagner’s name)
- Thomas A. Ferrara, Newsday
- Jose Fajardo, The Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.)
- Jay Janner, Austin American-Statesman (photo 15 in gallery)